Hold-open systems for fire doors
- Planning & project engineering
- Support from CWS fire protection officer
- Automatic and safe closing in case of fire
- Closure triggered manually or by a smoke detector
- Directly installable or retrofittable hold-open systems available
- Cooperation with various manufacturers such as DORMA, GEZE and HEKATRON
Hold-open system for fire doors - advice, installation & maintenance
The hold-open system is crucial for fire protection: A hold-open system keeps the fire door open and closes it automatically in case of fire. In this way, the doors remain open during everyday operation, while they are automatically closed in the event of a fire to prevent the rapid spread of smoke and fire. This guarantees reliable fire protection. It should be noted that only hold-open systems approved by the DIBt (Deutsches Institut für Bautechnik) may be used for fire protection doors.
The hold-open system for fire doors is available in three versions:
- Holding magnet system: In case of smoke detection, the magnet's electrical circuit is interrupted, and the fire door closes automatically – frequent application, e.g. in schools, workshops, or production areas.
- Integrated door closer: The hold-open system is installed in a slide rail and is visually attractive. The door closes automatically in case of smoke.
- Overhead door closer: The hold-open system is installed on a single fire door with an integrated smoke switch. The door can be opened with little effort. As an alternative to the hold-open system, a freewheel mechanism can be installed to ensure that the fire door moves smoothly, as with a room door – often used in retirement homes, hospitals, or schools.
The hold-open system for fire doors consists of three components: hold-open device, power supply, and fire detector with release device (smoke switch control panel). The system can be purchased single or double-leaf (with closing sequence control for double-leaf doors) as well as optionally with linkage, guide rail, or magnetic clamp. Closing speed, backcheck, closing force, and hold-open angle can be individually adjusted.
The hold-open systems are approved by the German Institute for Building Technology (DIBt). An expert certified by the manufacturer carries out acceptance. CWS will be pleased to advise you on all topics of fire protection, such as fire doors and hold-open systems. We install the door extension, including the power supply, and maintain it regularly.
Maintenance of hold-open systems: According to DIN 14677, safety inspection and maintenance of a hold-open system must be carried out by an expert every 12 months.
- Easy to open doors for retirement homes, schools, and hospitals
- Barrier-free use